By John Oguntuase
HOW TO AVOID PITFALLS IN MINISTRY
50 +1 GUIDELINES AND ETHICS.
1. Ministry must be demarcated from marriage.
2. Don’t take ministerial work at the expense of your marriage.
3. Don’t use ministry to fatten yourself.
4. Don’t make any man the pillar of your ministry.
5. You must be able to fast and pray. Prayerlessness leads to pitfall.
6. Let there be limitation in your relationship with opposite sex.
7. BEWARE! The devil plays upon what you always desire/love.
8. Cover your wife’s weaknesses in public.
9. Stand firm on the Word, but don’t be proud about it.
10. Tame your appetite.
11. It’s not every honorarium that you collect, be careful.
12. “Autonomy of Pastor” is a pitfall, don’t think you are self-sufficient.
13. Don’t live a seclusive life, have fellowship with others, right people.
14. Be a praying machine.
15. Watch your doctrine, be alert in the spirit, flee all appearances of evil, live with eternity in view.
16. Avoid “Balak-Balam revival” never invite a preacher to come minister in your church for wrong reasons.
17. Handle your home well, avoid anything that can cause separation or divorce.
18. Don’t underrate your members, they are people of God.
19. Don’t speak evil of other pastors, love does not speak evil of it’s brother.
20. A pastor must have a pastor. Have elders that can help you,
21. Remain addicted to the teaching of God’s word.
22. Pastor’s and Pastor’s wife’s should Stop Borrowing Money from Jesus Members and the Public.
23. Be a True Disciple of our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
24.Have Self control and Discipline yourself under the power of the Holyghost.
25. Be humble enough to fall prostrate before the Lord in Worship
26.You don’t discuss your host with his members.
27. You don’t ask your host members to come see you secretly for prayers .
28. You are not to be collecting your host members telephone numbers.
29. You can’t be inviting your host members to another church or your next ministrations.
30. At least let the host know if someone blesses you, it won’t affect your honorarium.
31. Never come to the city of your host to hold a program without his knowledge
32. Respect and acknowledge the wife or husband of your host.
33. Know the full name of the church
34. Know the full name of the pastor you are ministering for.
35. Call the pastor with his right title
36 . You don’t be little the pastor before his members.
37. After your ministrations call the host pastor and thank him for the opportunity to minister in his church.
38.Never complain about any gift(honorarium) given to you with the church leadership.
39 , Don’t be asking the members of your host to do shopping for you.
40.Refuse dinner with host members unless the host pastor is invited.
41. No pastor should regret bringing you to his church
42. Never feel the reason why you invited is because you are more anointed than your host.
43.Stay within the time given to you and respect the order of the service
44. If you are a guest artiste invited to sing please don’t say before I sing let me share…(Please don’t preach)
45. Don’t be stressing your host and the protocol assigned to you with unnecessary demands.
46 . It is a TABOO to sleep with any member of your host.
47. Don’t use the pulpit of your host to promote yourself.
48. Don’t assume you are allowed to sell books and CDs, ask permission first.
49. Always make it a joyful experience by smiling and don’t insult the congregation.
50.Always be ready to be picked up from your hotel by the time given to you by the host and don’t let them be waiting for long.
51. Do not invite someone on his expenses and make them meet their bills it’s unethical and ungodly.
I do hope you’re blessed sir/ma. We will all finish strong in Jesus name. Amen