By Oluwafemi Dosu
It’s every filmmaker’s dream to have their ideas hit the big screen, but to see a film through to completion, one must have certain qualities to ensure production goes smoothly. Want to be a top filmmaker? You’ll need the following qualities:
- AuthorityGreat filmmakers must have a strong sense of authority. They are responsible for leading a team to create an outstanding finished product and must command the team to ensure they are working at their best.
- CommunicationGreat filmmakers must have excellent communication skills. They must be able to clearly articulate what their production goals are and be able to work with all team members to accomplish that goal.
- CreativityThey must be very creative, and able to generate ideas for stories, backgrounds, music, and other elements involved in a film production.
- DecisivenessGreat filmmakers must be able to make firm decisions and stick to them to help ensure production stays on track.
- DriveA great filmmaker has a tremendous sense of drive and ambition. He or she is willing to do whatever it takes to rise to the top of the industry and make great films.
- Grace Under PressureGreat filmmakers are able to handle pressure well. They understand that complications will arise during the filmmaking process and are able to handle the stress.
- Open MindedGreat filmmakers are open-minded to changes in their ideas. They accept input readily and consider other points of view without judgment.
- Problem SolvingGreat filmmakers can quickly address problems that arise during production. They are able to identify problems and figure out the best way to fix them.
- Technologically SavvyA great filmmaker is familiar with many, if not all, of the technological elements that are involved in the film making process, and has a grasp on what is feasible and what is not.
- VisionGreat filmmakers have terrific vision and can see the film from its conception through to its final product. They never lose sight of the ultimate goal.